A year and half ago, when Brady started preschool, we started giving him a small allowance. We explained that it was his "job" to go to school and do his best, so we thought he might be old enough to get "paid." However, we also said that he had to remember to ask for his money on Saturdays. If he forgot, then he wouldn't get it that week. We also decreed that a portion could go in his new wallet for spending but some would also have to go into savings and some into charity.
He enthusiastically collected. For about 2 weeks.
Sporadically after that, he would remember or we would remind him. Between Christmas and his birthday recently, he had a fair amount of cash in his wallet. I took him to the bank to deposit it, explaining that we could get it out if he found something he wanted to buy but that the bank would keep it safe for him.
Last week, I asked him he wanted his allowance.
K: What day is it?
B: Saturday.
K: What happens on Saturdays?
B: What?
K: Do you want your allowance?
B: No.
K: If you don't get it today, you don't get it this week.
B: I don't want to.
K: Why not?
B: I don't want to give any away.
K: What do you mean?
B: If I get it, I have to give some away and I don't want to give it away.
K: What?!?
B: I don't want to give it anyone. [I assume he means the bank and/or charity.]
K: But you still get to keep some. If you don't get your allowance, you don't get any money.
B: OK.
Apparently, we're not quite there yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment