Saturday, November 15, 2008

Motherhood geometry

I used to love geometry in school. It all seemed so logical. In my world, a geometry proof might look something like this:

Clean house = Housecleaning
Housecleaning = mommy's busy cleaning
Mommy's busy = unhappy kids

Therefore...
Clean house = unhappy kids

And, conversely,
Unclean house = happy kids

And happy kids is what we're all about in this household!!

This thought process came about after Bunco last week. After we had finished playing, we were all sitting around chatting, about housekeeping of all things.

My friend, Amy, said that she cleans her house every day. I believe her...she's one of those moms where we don't even help clean up after play dates because we know that she's going to go back and reorganize all the toys anyway.

I confessed that I rarely clean my house. Our cleaning routine generally consists of sweeping and dusting (largely because of our profusely-shedding dog), picking up one toy before getting out another, pushing the button on the automatic shower cleaner, and LOTS of laundry. If I'm feeling productive, I might swipe some of the dust off a piece of furniture with the palm of my hand. I mop before company. We run the dishwasher a lot.

I don't really see the point of regular mopping because our irritating matte-surface hardwood just shows footprints within 10 minutes. Marion commented that it does get rid of the germs. But, I rationalized (I have a rationalization for everything!), the germs help build my children's immunity!

Amy's comment? "But your house isn't dirty..." (as if the unsaid part of the sentence was "but it's not really clean either...). She didn't mean it that way. At least, I don't think she did...

But really, it's in the best interest of my happy, healthy children to avoid housework. Right?!?

2 comments:

  1. not so much deep thoughts...just a desperate attempt at rationalization :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails