Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Childhood politics

Between talking about Martin Luther King at school yesterday and watching the inauguration coverage, we had some interesting conversations with the kids yesterday. Two in particular stick in my mind:

Is it broking? - First, let me preface this one by saying that Rudy pronounces "broken" broking. I had the TV on a lot yesterday. It's a pretty unusual occurrence for it to be on that much around here, but Rudy still didn't seem that interested. When it came time for Obama to speak, I told Rudy that I really wanted to listen. I can't remember exactly how the conversation went, but it was along these lines:

R: Why?
K: Because he's our new president and I want to hear him talk.
R: Why we have a new pres-dent?
K: Because the old one is finished.
R: Why? Was he broking?

Well...I'll just leave THAT with no comment!

Which team? - Brady told us that they talked about 'Junior Martin' at school yesterday. He told us all about how there used to be white signs and black signs on the playgrounds and black kids couldn't play on the white kids playground. He thought that was a pretty silly policy. We took the opportunity to talk about all the progress in racial equality.

He really seemed to get it - which is great. I have to say though, that I was a little disappointed. Up until the lesson in school yesterday, he thought that white guys were anyone wearing white shirts and black guys were anyone wearing black shirts. We even had a few potentially embarrassing experiences in public where he would refer to "that black guy" - meaning only some man in a black shirt.

I thought it was so amazing, though, that he didn't even NOTICE the color of people's skin. I knew he'd figure out that difference eventually, I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails