Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sleepy-time routines

This is what I found when I went to check on Rudy during nap time...



We've rearranged his room so his workbench is at the foot of his bed. He got new Bob the Builder tools for Christmas and apparently decided to get some work done before falling asleep. I love the construction hat on Simba :)

I've been meaning to write about our sleepy-time routines with both kids. This seems like a good time to document Ru's!

Naptime

I worked hard this summer to push his nap time to later in the afternoon. It was nearly impossible to keep him awake until after we got Brady home from school last year. It's worked well and he's happy until at least 1 or 2 now. He can actually get by with out a nap, but it generally leads to a rough hour or so in the evening.

Since he's convinced he doesn't need to sleep, he usually has a lot to say on the way upstairs: Me not go to sleep! Don't sleep me mommy! Me not take a nap!

And, as if to prove it, he'll sometimes play for an hour before finally falling asleep. Sometimes, I have to go back in and tell him it's time to go to sleep. Generally, at this point, he'll let me cover him up and he'll go right to sleep.

He still wakes up and calls for me until I come get him. If I don't come soon enough, he lays on the bed and kicks the wall until I come in.

Bedtime

James and I trade off taking each kid to bed - two nights and then we switch. Rudy gets one book in bed (lately, Goodnight Moon is a favorite again. Other standbys are How Does a Dinosaur Say Goodnight and Casey at the Bat.

After the story, he says his prayer. (We start the lines and he finishes them. Often with his own twist - which I've put in brackets.)

Dear God, I thank you for your care
You've been right with me everywhere

At school and at play, you're by my side [by myself]
My special friend, my loving guide

With all I do and all I say,
Help me to walk in Jesus' way

Help me to do the things I should [do]
To be to others kind and good

You're always with me, not far above
Watch over me and those I love [you]. Amen.

After that, he sings ABCs with us and then we sing him Kum-Ba-Yah with the second verse as "Rudy's sleepin', Lord. Kumbaya..."

We give a kiss, a big hug, and an eskimo kiss before leaving. Generally, that's the end of it, but he's starting to test the waters to see how much he can get away with!

And, finally a couple funny bedtime stories from the last few weeks (long post, I know!)...

After reading Casey at the Bat:

J: There was no joy in Mudville, the mighty Casey had struckout.
R, after a moment of thought: Why Casey have a mighty struckout?


After being tucked in for the night...


R: MOOOOMMMMMMEEEE! MOMMMEEEEE!
He gets James instead.

J,at the door: What is it, Rudy?
R: inaudible whisper
J, now at Rudy’s bedside: What is it?
R, still whispering: I need a kiss.
J, after a quick peck and walking back out: Night, night, Ru.
R: another whisper.
J, back at the bedside: What?
R: And some pants.


His too-short pajama pants were up around his knees, so he thought he wasn’t wearing any.


J: You have pants on.
R, after further investigation: Oh.


Again, after being tucked in (a different night, thankfully!)
After the initial hollering, the rest of the conversation was conducted in whispers.

R: MOOOOMMMMMMEEEE! MOMMMEEEEE!
K: What Rudy?
R: Come here!
K: No, Rudy. It's bedtime.
R: Come here!
K: No, Rudy, it's time to go to sleep. Good night.
R: Mommy! Come in.
K: Rudy, if I come in I'm going to spank your bottom.
R: Good night Mommy.


...a couple minutes later...

R: MOOOOMMMMMMEEEE! MOMMMEEEEE!
K: What Rudy?
R: Don't spank my bottom.
K: OK, Rudy. Go to sleep.
R: OK, Mommy. Good night.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails