Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Traditional Christmas present

James and I decided that we wouldn't get the boys new toys for Christmas; instead we "gifted" them with a family adventure. We embarked on that adventure this weekend and all four of us agreed that it's an excellent beginning to what we're going to make a Christmas tradition.

First, we rode the train to Baltimore. This is definitely the way to travel. I'm willing to sacrifice some on-time issues for the comfort of 1 - not driving and 2 - the kids not being strapped into car seats. I guess it works best when the destination is a city like Baltimore where you don't need a car anyway.

The boys loved the train. We need to plan another trip for the summer, when it doesn't get dark so early.


We got in pretty late on Friday, but everyone was still in a good mood and we were hungry. I'd actually been organized enough to buy certificates at restaurant.com so we took Brady and Rudy out for tapas at the Inner Harbor. We let each of them pick out one of the plates; Brady picked bacon-wrapped steak bites and Rudy picked Spanish meatballs. How cool is it that our kids are willing to try so many new things?!?


The next morning we went to the Maryland Science Center. We got in for FREE with our membership from our local kids' museum (that thing has got to be one of our best investments!). We only had two hours at the museum, which was about a third of what we needed to really see everything.

Rudy loved the dinosaurs. He's showing me the big one in this picture, but he was really taken with the smallest skeleton (compsignathus) because "he's wittle wike me."


We grabbed a quick bite for lunch and then changed clothes before heading over to the Hippodrome for the weekend's big attraction: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. As in, the live theater musical. We were really nervous about taking a 5-year old and a 2-year old to the theater, but they really couldn't have behaved any better. They were absolutely enthralled with the whole production; both declared that their favorite parts were the dogs and when the car flies.


We had an unexciting dinner at The Cheesecake Factory that night, where Rudy promptly fell asleep in his chair.


Sunday morning we headed to the aquarium. I think the dolphin show was probably the biggest hit there. We spent the entire day checking out the new Australia exhibit and the sharks and rays.


Finally, we got one last snack before heading back to the train station. It was cold and Rudy's hair looked like this every time we took his hat off!


It was really a great trip! They boys were so well-behaved the entire time and it was just the right amount of activity - kept us busy but not totally exhausted. (Although we were joking by Sunday evening that they had used up all of their good behavior and we'd up all of our patience...)



So, now the big question is...where to next year?!?

1 comment:

  1. Hi... I came to your blog through Feedjit, as it was listed on the 'Top Harrisonburg' blogs list (which I don't really understand, as most of the blogs I find on there aren't from Hburg!). Anyway, I wanted to say, first, that I think it's so cool that you did an 'adventure' instead of toys this year and second, I was wondering where you took the train from...? I want to take my daughter up to Baltimore soon but I really don't want to drive it. If you could reply here or check out my blog and respond there, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails