Last year, we had to convince Brady to give SCA a try. This year, he needed no convincing and decided to run for Reporter as soon as the forms came out. He submitted an essay, which he created in the style of the SCA newsletter he would be responsible for distributing:
I was impressed! He was then one of three kids selected to run for office. He wasn't sure what to write for his speech. I suggested we brainstorm over dinner one night. He said he didn't know what "brainstorming" was. I told him that it was when everyone throws out any idea that pops into their heads, no matter how crazy. In an effort to demonstrate, I said the craziest thing that popped into my head, which was "you start your speech off with a camel." This is how brainstorming works...Brady latched onto that idea and wrote his whole speech based on the Geico hump day commercial!
He even added camels to each of his campaign posters, just to keep everyone guessing until speech day:
He was cool as a cucumber on speech day. The note home said they didn't have to get too dressed up, but he was insistent that he wanted to wear his suit. Snazzy! This kid doesn't get stage fright, which I think is awesome. When the SCA advisor asked if he was nervous, he gave a casual "nah."
Unfortunately, this experience ended up being one of those tough life lessons. He didn't win the election, and was pretty disappointed. He took it like a champ, though, and congratulated the winner later in the day. He does still get to be his classroom representative, which is not a bad consolation prize. We couldn't be prouder of him for running and put so much hard work into his campaign.

No comments:
Post a Comment