Monday, October 21, 2013

Jamestown Field Trip

I'm not sure, but I think I might have been more excited about the Jamestown field trip than Brady was!  I don't think I've been to Jamestown since my own fourth grade field trip, so I couldn't wait to get back.  It was a great combination of some history, a beautiful day outside, the feeling of "playing hooky," and hanging out with Brady and his friends and my friends.

We started at the Jamestown reconstruction.  The tour guide here was pretty uninspired and we felt pretty rushed, which was a bit of a disappointment.  It was interesting to see the reconstruction, but the highlight was definitely boarding the ship and the Native American village, complete with furnished longhouses. 

 
In the church, with Evan at the pulpit:
 
Brady, trying his hand at making his own bone knife, and in front of the ship.
Apparently, I failed in my picture taking duties and only took this picture of my group at the original Jamestown site.   Evan, Brady, Alison, and Morgan.  Alison has been in Brady's class since kindergarten. 

When I learned about and visited Jamestown as a kid, historians and scientists both thought that the original site had eroded away and was under the James River.  It was pretty fascinating to see the original site marked out and to lay eyes on the artifacts in the museum, including the rather gruesome skull that shows evidence of cannibalism during the starving time. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails